All our homes have at least one responsible House Caretaker based on one of our six different House Caretaker’s offices. Your House Caretaker helps you on weekdays with things related to your student housing. It might concern something that is wrong in your home, property, outdoor environment or advice about things in your home. It’s also your House Caretaker who carries out the inspection of your home before you move out.

Contact details for your House Caretaker can be found at My pages’ homepage. The information will be visible from the first day of your rental agreement.

Fault reports

If you discover a fault that you can’t fix yourself, make a fault report on My pages. You can also find help videos on our YouTube-channel.

On-call service after opening hours

If you need emergency help with a fault or a disturbance after our opening hours, you contact our combined on-call service.